Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Men, Weed Eaters, and Hedge Trimmers

What is it about men with weed eaters and hedge trimmers? Seriously, do they feel some kind of extraordinary power once the power cord gets plugged in? Let me explain.

My landlord sent someone over to my house cut the grass, trim shrubs and yard maintenance.  I didn't know he was coming today, in fact I didn't even know he was here until I looked out my back window and saw him brutally attacking the gorgeous tall shrub separating my back yard from my neighbors. I was on the phone at time and as soon as I realized what was happening, I hurried out the back door as quick as I could (with a bad back ) and tried to get his attention, but he had head phones on and and couldn't hear me. After waving my arms wildly, and making loud noises, I finally got his attention. I explained how important the shrubs were for our privacy and asked him to please not to cut them any shorter, just barely trim them. HA! The next thing I knew my nice thick shrub had become so thinned to the point where not only Could I now see through the shrubs to my next door neighbor's yard, but also to the neighbor's yard beyond that. So much for privacy!

It reminded me of another painful time years ago (a different lifetime when I was married). We were living in a rental house that had beautiful ivy climbing up the brick wall. I was getting ready to cater a bridal shower the following week, and planning on using some of the fresh ivy for decoration. I had went into town and when I came back home my jaw dropped. Not only had my husband trimmed every single bit of ivy off the house, but also conveniently weed eated my hydrangea bush as well. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw my beautiful ivy lying lifeless on the ground. I cried. I was hurt, and devastated. I know it was just ivy but it was important to me, besides the point that now I couldn't use it for the upcoming bridal tea. My husband felt justified in cutting it by saying that he thought it was ruining the brick on the house.

 Just this morning I posted on my blog about how God sometimes "cuts back" things in our lives necessary for our good, but what was the lesson in all this?
Maybe God has a sense of humor and he was showing it to me. Do I need to set better boundaries? Do I need to release control over those things in which I have no control over?  Perhaps I need to go back to yesterdays post to just "Let Go and Go On." 

 As I ponder these things I realize once again that I am human and continually a work in progress. Good days, bad days and that I constantly need to be reminded of the serenity prayer;

 "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference. 

 But some days it sure is hard: especially on those days when men have weed eaters and hedge trimmers!

No comments:

Post a Comment