Thursday, May 19, 2011

Priming the well

When I was growing up, we were poor. I had to go outside in all kinds of weather and pump water from a well, carry it back inside the house and then heat it up on a space heater. This was in the late sixties/early seventies and not too many of my friends lived in such dire conditions.

Now, before you could even get a drop of water out of the well, you had to prime it. This meant forcing the pump handle up and down continuously for some time until the force propelled the water up and out of the pump. This was called "priming". You couldn't just go to the pump and pump the handle one time and expect a stream of water to start gushing forth. No, it always took time, effort, and strength to manually force the water to come up into  and out of the pump.

And so, life is the same. Sometimes we want "instant" everything. Answers to life's questions, solutions to the problems at hand. Although we live in a world of instant gratification, sometimes it's just not that simple. Sometimes the water in the well is far from the surface and takes a lot of so called "priming."
I don't necessarily enjoy "priming the well", but lately things seem to be requiring a lot more effort on my part to get the end result.

I have been doing a lot of "priming the well" lately. Searching for the refreshing coolness of water when my soul and spirit is parched and dry. I know it will eventually come and so I wait; and I keep on "priming the well".

No comments:

Post a Comment