Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Broken Vase

Today I came home to find that my favorite vase lay broken on an end table. Nobody was home, so I don't know how it could have broken. Funny, just yesterday I had carefully cleaned & shined it, and just a few days ago I put it on said table replacing the Christmas Nativity Scene I had just packed away.  Now this vase has survived a 750 mile move from the midwest to the south, so why it just ups and breaks today it a great mystery to me.

When I think about it, my life reminds me a lot of that favorite vase: sometimes I'm just standing strong, looking good, when all of a sudden I've fallen down (or knocked down) and it feels like my world as I know it shattered.

Last year was a year of loss for me. No, not earth shattering, but loss just the same; the loss of a job, the loss of a marriage, each painful in itself to hurl me spiraling into a place where I begin the question why why why?  I know that this place is dark and lonely and I cannot stay here.

My favorite vase can easily be replaced: my job, not so easy in this economy, and my marriage?  All I can say is that it was not in vain if I have learned some valuable life lessons from the mistakes that we both made.
( on the funny side~they say that marriages are made in heaven ~ but so are thunder and lightning.)

My vase has served it's purpose; it's provided me with years of enjoyment; likewise my job and my marriage. ( not all perfect~ but lots of good as well)

So whatever breaks in your life today, know that there is life after broken vases, loss of jobs and broken marriages.  And even if vases, jobs and marriages can't be repaired, know that tomorrow will bring a brand new day.

No comments:

Post a Comment