Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Faith, Hope and Peace

Recently I've been posting about certain things: fear, faith, peace and more. Towards the end of last year, I was thinking about choosing a word to meditate on, and study through this new year. For the longest time I thought God was directing me toward the word "Hope." Then, on New Year's Day, after much prayer and discernment, I felt led to change my word for 2013 to "Peace." I posted on facebook that if I had God's peace in my heart and life this year, then I wouldn't have to hope for anything else. Even if I encountered trials (which I did almost immediately, in addition to the trials I am already currently facing) or chaos, difficulty, strife, or any other situation that tries and tests my faith in God, if I have HIS PEACE, I will be able to say that "all is well with my soul." I will be able to find peace and true contentment in Him, in God alone. Wow!

I KNOW this was God speaking to me about this this. I am single. I am in financial hardship, I am not able to work because of health issues, the list could go on and on, but last night I was reminded (and God has amazing ways of getting our attention) of a scripture that ministered to me, and so I am sharing it with you, so that it may encourage you as well.

 Romans 8:38-39

"For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come. Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

The second scripture God gave me is this:

Philippians 4:7

"And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."

And THEN, the very next scripture gives us the tools we need to find that peace in God.

Philippians 4:8-9

"Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of a good report: if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things."
"Those things, which ye have both learned and received, and heard, and seen in me do: and the God of peace shall be with you."

Now that doesn't mean we are going to have an easy ride; each and every day we need to use the tools the scripture has given us, so that we can fight the enemy, and not allow him to take away our peace, because trust me, the enemy will do his best to trip us up any chance he gets. So with that being said, I turned to these next scriptures for more insight on how to prepare myself each day, because in reality, we are in a constant spiritual battle and we need to follow these words of wisdom:

Ephesians 6:11-17

"Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil."
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;
And your feet shod with the preparation of peace.
Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.
And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints:"

As I read through all these scriptures today, I can feel God's spirit and presence in my life. I don't have to have "hope," because faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. My faith in God sustains me, my PEACE in God brings me contentment, in spite of being single, in spite of the unknown future that tomorrow holds, in spite of hardship, finances, sickness, struggles, trials, difficulties and more. God holds me in the palm of HIS hand, and in HIS hand there is peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment